Graduate Diploma of Leadership
The Graduate Diploma in Leadership is a nested award in the
Master of Leadership, designed to equip professionals with a specialised
understanding of leadership, integrating leadership theories with spiritual principles
and pragmatic application. This course is overseen by Program Director Dr Daniel Thornton.
Please refer to the course description for the Master of Leadership. The Master of Leadership award is what you would enrol in, even if you intend to exit early with the Graduate Diploma of Leadership (GDL).
The GDL is part of AC’s Transforming Leadership Program (TLP). Take your leadership to the next level.
The course structure is based on two semesters (each of 13 weeks duration), with four subjects taught in each semester. It comprises:
- 4 core subjects (40 credit points)
- 4 electives (40 credit points)
To qualify for award of the degree of Graduate Diploma in Leadership a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 80 credit points, including satisfactory completion of the core subjects.
For more information see the Student Handbook.
4 subjects (40 credit points) taken from accredited Level 8 and 9 (400, 500 or 600 level) subjects offered by the College, including subjects not taken from other specialisations.
All Subjects Available
Applicants with Recent Secondary Education (within the past 2 years)
This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution. Applicants with recent high school education only are not eligible for direct entry into this course.Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) Study
This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution. Applicants with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification only are not eligible for direct entry into this course.Applicants with Higher Education Study
Applicants whose highest level of study enrolment since leaving secondary education is a higher education qualification must demonstrate the completion of an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) by an authorised institution for admission into this course.Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who have not completed formal higher education study are not eligible for direct entry into this course. These applicants are encouraged to seek admission via the Graduate Certificate in Leadership.
Essential Entry Requirements
In addition to the academic criteria above, applicants seeking entry into the Graduate Diploma of Leadership must demonstrate a minimum of 3 years’ relevant work experience in a managerial or professional leadership role. This may include:
- Ministers in senior leadership positions;
- Managers and leaders in non-government organisations which act to further social or cultural outworking of Christian ministry; or
- Businesspeople who are fulfilling positions of responsibility including team or industry leadership.
Applicants must submit a copy of their CV with a cover letter outlining how they meet the above criteria, or equivalent. This course of study requires the completion of a higher education qualification by an authorised institution.
Overseas students are required to demonstrate their English proficiency skills. Such students admitted into our programs must attain an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of 7.0 (with no score below 6.5 in any of the four skills areas). IELTS (or equivalent) is not required for applicants who have undertaken five years of required higher education study (or equivalent) in English from an approved country or who have completed a Certificate IV or higher qualification awarded in English under the Australian Qualification Framework by an authorised institution or registered training organisation.
Delivery Mode: Face-to-face, Online*, Intensive (Sydney only)
Locations: Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Hobart
Duration: 1 year full-time/up to 4 years part-time
Intakes: Semester 1, Semester 2
*Note: Full-time students may be required to complete some subjects online depending on face to face class availability at selected campuses.
Course Learning Outcomes
- advanced and integrated understanding of key issues, theoretical concepts and practices within leadership;
- knowledge of recent developments and scholarship in leadership within the Christian worldview framework;
- understanding of general leadership principles and methods, and knowledge of specific approaches used in the leadership.
Demonstrated ability to:
- define and resolve a complex problem or issue using appropriate knowledge, approaches and theories in leadership;
- use critical, evidence based and innovative thinking skills to analyse and synthesise ideas and theories from other disciplines related to leadership;
- communicate effectively complex ideas and proposed solutions to peers and general audiences;
- critically evaluate new developments of scholarship in leadership.
Application of Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrated ability to:
- articulate and apply the knowledge and skills developed within leadership to develop appropriate solutions to emerging business challenges;
- critically evaluate and apply broad conceptual frameworks in leadership;
- work independently, responsibly and with the level of professionalism expected of an informed practitioner in leadership.
“Everything that I have studied has helped, particularly the
leadership subjects. They have given me a really strong grounding and
foundation for what’s next.”
Leadership Graduate & C3
Graduates may find employment in ministry or church-based organisations; become part of the next generation of leaders of not-for-profit organisations; take up leadership or management positions in school, or various management positions in for-profit businesses.
For more information on the suite of student support services available, please see our Student Services section.
CRICOS Course Code: This course is not currently CRICOS approved.