The Diploma of Education is an alternative pathway towards the full Bachelor of Education (Primary) and Bachelor of Education (Secondary) programs. This course also provides an option for students who want to start with a short undergraduate course before committing to the full Bachelor program or for students who need to exit a Bachelor of Education program earlier than intended.
You will receive specialised knowledge and skills for skilled/paraprofessional work and further learning.
The course structure is based on the first two semesters (each of 13 weeks duration) of the Bachelor of Arts (Education Studies), with four subjects taught in each semester. It comprises:
- 10 cp from Research
- 10 cp from Christian Studies
- 10 cp from Education
- 50 cp from Education subjects
To qualify for award of the degree of Diploma of Education Studies a candidate shall accrue an aggregate of at least 80 credit points.
Choose five subjects (50 credit points) of elective subjects from any Alphacrucis College subject with an EDU code.
For more details on which subjects you can choose, see the current enrolment guide for this course.
All Subjects AvailableView the full list of subjects for this course.
Rules of Progression
Maximum of 6 subjects (60 credit points) at 100 level.
Applicants with Recent Secondary Education (within the past 2 years)
Applicants with recent high school education only will demonstrate completion of the NSW Higher School Certificate, or the completion of the interstate or overseas equivalent qualification.
Applicants with Vocational Education and Training (VET) Study
Applicants with a Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualification will demonstrate the completion of a Certificate III or higher qualification awarded by an authorised institution or registered training organisation (RTO).
The Program Director will conduct a pre-admission interview (either face-to-face or phone or via Zoom) with all applicants seeking entry into the course on the basis of a Certificate III qualification. This interview aims to assess academic suitability and preparedness of the applicant for undergraduate level study.
Applicants with Higher Education Study
Applicants whose highest level of study enrolment since leaving secondary education is a higher education qualification will demonstrate the completion of an AQF Level 7 Bachelor degree (or higher) by an authorised institution for admission into this course.
Applicants with Work and Life Experience
Applicants who have not completed formal higher education study are eligible for direct entry into this course.
If English is not the applicant’s first language or if their first degree was awarded in a non English speaking nation, they will be required to show proficiency in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (or equivalent) with an overall IELTS (or equivalent) score of at least 5.5, with a score of not less than 5.0 in any of the four skill areas, or equivalent.
Delivery Mode: Face-to-Face, Blended, and Online
Locations: Sydney, Online
Duration: One Year (two semesters) full-time, or up to four years part-time.
Intakes: Semester 1, Semester 2
Fees & Timetable
Fee-Help information and a complete Fee Schedule for all Alphacrucis courses can be found in our Fees Information section.
For a full list of course dates for new and continuing students, please see our Timetables.
FEE-HELP is available for eligible students to assist you in financing your studies. For more information and other options, please visit the Financing Your Study page. For students who cannot access government loans, an alternative option is Study Loans, a private student loan provider. To learn more about loans provided by Study Loans, click here.
Course Learning Outcomes
- ability to identify key issues and practices within the discipline area of primary or secondary teaching;
- outlining the general research principles and methods used in the discipline area of primary or secondary teaching
Demonstrated ability to:
- design and execute a research project which examines a problem or issue using appropriate methodologies and theories from the discipline area;
- identify and critically evaluate new developments of research and scholarship in the discipline area of primary or secondary teaching;
- communicate effectively ideas and proposed solutions to peers and general audiences in diverse contexts;
Demonstrated ability to:
- articulate new questions or issues and apply the knowledge and skills developed within the discipline area of primary or secondary teaching to develop appropriate solutions;
- work independently, responsibly and with the level of professionalism expected in the discipline area of primary or secondary or secondary teaching;
- design and implement a research project in the discipline area of primary or secondary teaching to advance personal and professional development.
“I always wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to have an impact on the younger generation, that’s the place I felt I could really help... What I thought would be really challenging turned out to be something I really enjoyed. I truly recommend Alphacrucis College.
Graduates may find employment in educational institutions (faith-based, government and non-government), not-for-profit and mission-focused organisations, community service-orientated positions, and positions that require skills in research and critical thinking.
For more information on the suite of student
support services available, please see our Student
This course is not currently available to International Students.